Friday, August 2, 2013

We start to fight


 
Well our family is on a different journey than planned. We finally got a phone call from our adoption agency that we were being considered. Our adoption journey has been so long and a lot of work and mostly a lot of patience. But in a cruel twist we found ourselves in the hospital when the call came. We were toId I was having a hysterectomy so we had to tell our social worker not to consider us at this time. 

So turns out I was too infected to operate and my hemaglobin too low so rescheduled until September. Home after 3 days in hospital to rest, recover and build blood . How does one build blood anyway? I tried beet pills, kale and spinach for breakfast, I took iron pills and waited.

Then on July 16, 2013 at 9am my gynecoligist called requestIing to see both John and I in her office asap. I said John is at work I will come alone or bring my Mom ( she had just arrived the night before and was to take Georgia to Nakusp for holiday). My Doctor insisted I had to come with my husband. Uh oh. Well we all know what came next. We were told at 3pm that Tuesday that I had sarcoma cancer. We were informed that I was now a patient of the Tom Baker Cancer Clinic. No thanks I thought, but over the next few days they called to schedule scans, xrays, bloodwork and a 4hr meet and greet. 

July 29... 8am we arrived at Tom Baker and I got my membership card. I asked why do I need this card and I was told... you will be here alot so it is easier to show your card. Where did we go wrong, when did I sign up for this, it must be a mistake. I am sure we signed up for a journey of adoption. In fact we had just finished widening our adoption and had completed all forms with the government. We had a social worker at our house going over the last details needed. We had even joined 2 support groups for adoption and started a third with the group of friends we had met at our 3 weekends of classes. Again where did we take a wrong turn and end up seated by women getting chemo with no hair, filling out forms with questions like... do you have a living will? 

Well I got to get another full exam (good times) answer several more questions then once dressed we walked down a long hallway to a room where we waited to meet our new Dr and get the details. It seemed like forever and the door was open to the hall outside, there sat several patients awaiting some form of treatment. I was amazed had these people all taken the same wrong turn we had, how long have they had their membership cards?

1 comment:

  1. Well all I can say is cancer picked the wrong family to mess with. Your strength, courage and humor is so admirable, we can all learn from you. I agree Kim that sometimes it takes something like this to show us how fortunate we really are and what amazing people we have in our lives. I also think you should remember you reap what you sow and you my friend have obviously planted some kick ass seeds to have so many people behind you rooting for you, offering to help and sending prayers your way. I told Megan the other day when I found out you got your surgery date that we obviously have angels hanging out on our street watching over all of us. Remember laugh lots, cry when you need to and stay strong. Tannis

    ReplyDelete