Tuesday, August 13, 2013

......A child's book by any other name

10:18pm Long day.....

I just finished the long drive back to Okotoks from the hospital in the north of the city. My eyes were hurting, I'm surprised I didn't go off into the ditch..Not a big fan of the Deerfoot, less of a fan after the day I just had.

But on my way home my thought changed from Kim to Georgia and I had hopped that she had went to bed without fuss, and if story time was good.
Georgia has this book I like to read her some nights pending on what that days events were, or what the next will bring. It's called "Courage" and its great way to help a 7 year old with how to talk about swimming class today, a fall off a bike, a spelling test the next day. Or even a day before she has Jujitsu testing for a new belt.....she will need that for the boys as she gets older.

She gets it...courage.

I always thought I knew what that was. We all knew the side of the tracks I came from. But today I think I really saw it. REALLY saw it.
Today as I watched the Nurse take Kim away from me to lead her to the OR she let go of my hand and walked away....she turned to look back at me as she was going down the hall to who knows what...she was crying. She was scared,  and I was furious!  I almost lost it there.....I started to cry too. But what I thought of when she whent through that door down the end of the hall was how scared she must have been to walk that walk with me standing there fists clinched.

I have had 11 hours to think....about EVERYTHING. 

This fight started 8 weeks ago. And she just hit a major milestone in the battle againts cancer. I have always known Kim to be tough.  She would have to be, she married me. God knows I test her patience. 
The Doctor called me this afternoon, to tell me in about a 90 second conversation that he cut out everything that he wanted to get out of her. But he was still unsure if it has gone anywhere else on the microscopic level where there is still a very real fear of it doing.....man cancer sucks!
He told me that she went into the recovery ward and I would see her later in the evening, he would go over everything with us on Wednesday. So I sat in the hallway and waited.....

They told me I could see her for a bit before I had to go home, the first thing she said to me was "You need to eat something, it's been a long day. You must be tired" SHE said that to ME....I held her hand I kissed her forehead and I told her I would see her in the morning as she went to sleep......

You know, I think I have a new type of story that I going to start reading to Georgia at bed time now too.
I'm going to start reading her stories about Superheroes,  great courageous Superheroes.  Because they are real! I believe in them, I saw one today for the first time, and she happens to be my best friend.....
Kim, I'm so proud of you, every day you fight this you get stronger. We get stronger. My best friend, my partner, my wife, my WAY better half.  I love you so much. Keep it up babe, we got many more years of crime fighting ahead of us.

I will let everyone know any new details on Wednesday If I get them. Kim I'm sure will be back on here by then.

Have a good night,

Cheers.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment