Friday, September 27, 2013

Results are in...

Thank you everyone for your support it has and continues to mean so much to us. It was a very long day and I apologize for not posting last night but after getting home we crashed. Our goal was to be healthy enough to do treatment and that is what we are. I was given a diagnosis of Stage 2 and that means we can do treatment. I knew because it had spread before surgery and so quickly that we were not stage 1 but there was a possibility that if it spread in the last 5 wks again that it would be stage 4 that was a fear but did not happen. Yay!!!

After 3 yes 3 internal exams ( not sure how that was for my husband to witness) from my oncoligist, the head radiologist and a student since it is a teaching hospital. Then they discussed options of treatment but first our Dr told us he was happy to say no new growths. Whewwwww. John and I took a breath for the first time in weeks, months really.

The cancer is still there but on a microscopic level. Sarcoma is tricky and likes to hide and attach so yes there is a risk if it attacking again so we are attacking it agressivley with treatment. They as John would say are going after it "all gunz a blazin". Next week I get more Ct scans, bloodwork, etc then I begin the next battle. I will do 5 wks of daily external radiation then 1 wk of internal radiation followed by chemo every 2 wks for 6 months. Over 7 months of treatment... Look out cancer. Alot of zapping should beat it and kill it. Cant say I will miss it once it is gone. Say goodbye cancer we are going in for the kill.

The treatment also kills healthy cells so there will be side effects but good news is eventually health cells will repair themselves. So I will keep as healthy and rested as possible. I will deal with things as they come. I know I will be exhausted and I may lose my hair, my nails, I may sleep some days all day but hair grows back and so will I. I will be better and stronger than ever.

Although we will never know the future we now know that we can plan one. Whewww!!! Yes we had to discuss and plan for a stage 4 diagnosis too and although it was painful it was necessary. It gave us the chance to discuss  living our life and dreams. What we wanted for our family. A second chance at life really.

We knew that it was going to be a marathon not a sprint. I have healed well from surgery and  will bounce back from treatment just as succsessfully. Thanks to the love and support we have recieved.

Xoxo

Today I am off to get a tooth pulled, the dentist couldnt touch me till I stopped the blood thinners.

1 comment:

  1. Kim et al,
    Every time I read your posts your strength, courage and positivity amazes me.. Someone said to me the other day, "You are such a positive person." I said really you think so? Well... I have this neighbor..." You will beat this and these things in life like you mentioned before once they are behind us are in a strange sort of way a gift. I gift we would rather not have but a gift none the less. It allows us to see the good in our lives, appreciate every little moment no matter how trivial and how not to sweat the small stuff, and it's true at the end of the day most of it is small stuff. It teaches us to hold our love ones just a little bit closer and forgive those who have done us wrong. And trust me when I tell you, when you are faced with a challenge you will say.. "Pffft I kicked Cancer's butt, I got this." Georgia will learn from you and John how to be strong and face challenges in life. You are right this will be a long road some days harder than others but you have family, friends and neighbors who are hear for you be sure to lean on your support system. Both you and John remember that your are receiving any support that you yourselves would offer to someone else and you have a life time ahead of you to pay it forward. I am rooting for as is everyone, I would get out my pompoms and stand in front of your house but that might appear weird to some people and neighbors would talk :) Just know we think of you daily and are a phone call or a door knock away.

    ReplyDelete